Tossing and Turning?
People have really been dissatisfied with their sleep patterns over the years. A lot of people think that they do not get enough sleep at night and when they get up in the morning they don’t feel refreshed. Sleep specialists say that you really need about 8 hours of sleep is really ideal for adults. American between 13 – 64 say that they really never get enough sleep during the week and 60% of those individuals state they have sleep deprivation. The most common reason why they are not sleeping is snoring, waking up in middle of night, and being very tired in the mornings. So, the question is – How does sleep deprivation affect the human body? The following are symptoms of not getting enough sleep during the night:
- Nodding off during the day, which accounts for 100,000 car accidents annually.
- Lowered cognitive functioning, which affects memory retention and increases the occurrence of heart disease, diabetes, and strokes.
- Diminished sex drive, which is caused by lack of sleep that lowers the testosterone levels in males.
- Premature aging of the skin, which is caused by the flooding of cortisol (stress hormone) in the body. As a result, cortisol breaks down collagen in the skin.
- Weight gain, which increases the risk of becoming obese by 30%.
- Increased rate of depression. A study in 2007 showed that people who experienced insomnia were five times more likely to develop depression.
Are you or someone you know having issues with sleeping or potential sleep apnea? If you said yes, then we invite you to visit Sleep Apnea Temecula or Call us at (951) 695-6269 for a consultation.